This written declaration commits only those who have signed it.
1. Are deeply concerned by the
ongoing closure case against the Democratic Society Party (DTP)
2. The party is dedicated to democratic principles and forms
the fourth largest faction in the Turkish National Assembly.
3. The banning of political parties which play a fundamental
role in pluralistic democracies violates the freedom to organise
and the freedom of speech. Furthermore, the banning of the DTP which
has an important mission for the solution of the Kurdish issue,
one of Turkey’s major problems, would deal a blow to efforts to solve
the problem through peaceful and political means.
4. The banning of 24 parties in Turkey up to the present day
created many problems for the democratic process and did not solve
any. In the same manner, the banning of the DTP will not help to
solve the Kurdish issue but further aggravate it.
5. We are convinced that the DTP should not be closed but that
the Turkish Government should enter into a dialogue with the DTP
to facilitate a solution for Turkey’s major problems, including
the Kurdish issue.